Certainly Celery

Voting

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Troubled Thoughts

Today I talked with a co-worker.....and I'm reminded of an insident that happened long ago. When I had pets they were always cats. I don't know why, but a cat would be my choice. I even got ring-worm once from a litter of farm cats. Years ago there were some cats out in the barn, and they were bothersome....so they were caught and brought up to the house in a cage. There was a beautiful red cat/not orange/but red cat with lovely long fur and beautiful blue eyes. A rare beauty.....but definately wild..... Very wild. I wanted very much to tame that kitten. So for two or more weeks, I kept the kitten in a cage and tried to tame it. I fed it by hand, and it scratched me badly, I cleaned the cage and it scratched me, I kept the kitten safe and it scratched me..... I spoke to it in calm tones and it hissed at me.... I really tried my best to love and care for that beautiful kitten....and the kitten wouldn't have it.....as a result the kitten had to be put to sleep. It saddened me at the time, and I don't know why, but I was reminded of that insident from long ago. My co-worker has a beautiful daughter, absolutly given the best of homes as a child. In High School she was popular and seemed to have everything going for her. And then bi-polar behavior began....she self medicated with drugs. To make a long story short she took a nose dive and commited very UGLY acts. With help she came back to the surface and at eighteen married a police officer who is very supportive and knew her history. They have a baby boy and life was looking good. A couple of months ago (the daughter is now 20) this young family was in a car accident, and drugs were prescribed for the daughter and the husband lost his spleen (the baby is okay). The daughter with all of the stress can't kick the pain medications and is back in the hospital trying to kick the drug habit. It broke my heart while we were talking today. The father knows what a hold drugs have on his daughter and worries that she won't be able to fight the life long battle. He worries for his grandson, and wonder's how his son-in-law will be able to handle this day in and day out. And then he said, a part of his heart tells him, that she won't make it......and he's more prepared for her to die, than for the struggle she and the family will have to endure. I don't know how you reach that. He is a bishop and several young members of his ward are also struggling and one over-dosed just last week...... I've had cause to reflect on my own children and grandchildren. Life is not easy and parents have just got to be stronger, more responsible, more attuned to their children, More, More, More. I can visualize that beautiful little red kitten.......

1 comment:

Summer said...

I love reading your blog mom. It a great window into your thoughts.